Communal deenar« an older post
a newer one »Writing that essay

I licked it





Kris missed practice today. He's been working brutal hours for the last month and a half, and let me know he wasn't going to be at practice tonight either. I dropped Mike, Kate, Liza and Maeryn (hmmm... need to start calling that girl Maen, so that she has a four letter [nick]name like the rest of the family) off at the airport, drove to the office, and tried very, very hard to get the work done that I needed to get done.

I soon discovered there's a reason Mike is always stressed.

He has too much work to do.

We need to raise our rates. Clearly if we're this busy, it's because we're not charging enough. This level of work is insane for one person, much less the work of two for one person. Crazy.

So, late afternoon, my brain was fried, and I needed to leave if I was going to make practice on time. When I arrived home, I was too tired to do much more than wander to my bedroom to collapse and sleep for a couple hours. As I was collapsing, Heather (recall: best roommate EVER!) asked me if I was going to practice. She had the choice of heading to practice and play ultimate, or go a running workout, where she would just run, run, run. What fun is that? Running without a disc? Bah.

She rallyed me from my near-nap, and off we went to practice. The team was working on a horizontal stack. Contrasting to the previous three practices combined, I touched the disc a lot in the scrimmages at practice and had a really good time. I didn't think the stack explanations were so great, but I did okay, past experience clearly helping.

The biggest help, I think, was the iron supplements I've been taking. Instead of thinking, I. am. so. out. of. shape, I was able to work on ultimate, instead of noticing my legs, my lungs, my chest. Absolutely wonderful to be able to concentrate on the right things.

Kris was home when I returned. We dashed out to Hawaiian BBQ for dinner (Mmmmmmmm!), and went back home to eat. At the restaurant, Kris noticed I wasn't wearing my rings, and commented on them. I replied they were on my desk, I didn't want to play with them on, and the desk is the approved location for my rings when I remove them at home. I thought the question odd, as he removes his ring, too, but hey, I was spending time with him, he wasn't at work, so, yay!

After eating, I told Kris actually, I had to work, expecting him to be working this evening, so I committed to some work. He said, okay, did I want to work in the office? Nah, I wanted to be near him. Okay. So, I started working in the livingroom, and he watched TV for a bit. After a while, he said he wanted to play his (computer) game, so I stood up to move to the office.

When I opened the office door, the first thing I thought was, uh oh, something plastic has melted. The room smelled slightly of plastic, and my fear was the room was too warm during the day and something had melted. When I turned on the light and looked up, however, I realized just how wrong I was:

First thing I did after screaming and thanking Kris for it?

I licked it.