A slow morning
Woke up this morning semi-late, but not really, despite the late arrival early this morning. I made pumpkin waffles. Instead of using my usual pumpkin waffle recipe, I tried a new one. They turned out softer than the usual ones, and less pumpkiny.
2 c. flour
1 tbsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
5 tbsp. sugar
1 tsp. ground ginger
1 tsp. nutmeg
1 tsp. cinnamon
2 large eggs, separated (I used jumbo eggs, yolks into meium bowl, whites into mixer bowl)
1/4 c. vegetable oil (I used safflower oil)
2 c. buttermilk
3/4 c. canned pumpkin
1/4 tsp. cream of tartar
1. In a largish bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, sugar, giner, nutmeg, and cinnamon.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk egg yolks until pale yellow (I just mixed them), whisk in oil, buttermilk and pumpkin.
3. Beat egg whites until foamy, add cream of tartar and beat until soft peaks form (I mixed until hard peaks formed).
4. Add yolk mixture to flour mixture, stirring to combine.
5. Gently fold egg whites into the batter.
6. Make waffles according to waffle iron directions.
The waffles turned out more puffy and softer than the Smitten Kitchen waffles. I thought the difference was because I cooked these waffles for less time than the other waffles, but that wasn't why since both I followed the waffle iron beep and the waffles browned the same amount as the other ones.
These were also sweeter than the Smitten Kitchen waffles, which fits both me and Kris just fine.
Yum! I'd like two, please.