Book page kitt decided around 15:57 on 9 April 2016 to publish this:
For the cake:
- 1 cup butter (2 sticks), at room temperature
- 2 cups/360 grams sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3 cups/270 grams sifted cake flour
- ¾ cup milk
- 6 large egg whites, stiffly beaten
For the lemon filling:
- ½ cup butter (1 stick)
- 1 cup/180 grams sugar
- 6 large egg yolks
- Grated zest and juice of 2 lemons
For the 7-Minute Frosting:
- 2 egg whites, unbeaten
- 1 ½ cups/270 grams sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup water
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup/135 grams shredded coconut
Note: The information shown is Edamam’s estimate based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Nutritional analysis per serving (10 servings)809 calories; 39 grams fat; 26 grams saturated fat; 1 gram trans fat; 8 grams monounsaturated fat; 1 gram polyunsaturated fat; 108 grams carbohydrates; 2 grams dietary fiber; 84 grams sugars; 8 grams protein; 185 milligrams cholesterol; 230 milligrams sodium
Make the cake:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease three 8-inch cake pans.
- With a standing or hand mixer, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add dry ingredients alternately with milk. Fold in egg whites until thoroughly combined; do not overmix.
- Divide batter into greased pans and transfer to the oven. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until top springs back when lightly touched. Cool on racks before removing from pans; let cool completely.
Make the lemon filling:
- Combine all ingredients in top of double boiler set over boiling water. Cook, stirring constantly until very thick, about 15 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and let cool completely before using.
Make the frosting:
- Combine all ingredients in top of double boiler. Beat with a rotary beater or hand mixer for 1 minute, then set over boiling water and beat for about 7 minutes more or until frosting stands in glossy peaks. Remove from the heat and continue beating until frosting is cool and thick enough to hold firm swirls. Let cool completely before using.
Assemble the cake:
- Spread the lemon filling between the layers and on top. Spread the frosting on the sides of the cake and press with shredded coconut.